Ranked Choice Voting for Maryland (RCV Maryland) is a grassroots effort to adopt and implement better voting methods for local elections, specifically ranked choice voting (RCV). Ranked choice voting is used across the United States to empower voters with a greater voice and motivate candidates to reach beyond their base to earn enough support to win.
RCV Maryland seeks passionate and skilled individuals to serve as RCV Organizers — essential connectors to expand public awareness and political support for ranked choice voting. Organizers play a critical role in the grassroots movement for ranked choice voting through identifying potential local community advocates (RCV Ambassadors), building support among local elected leaders, and mobilizing supporters for action.
We have 3 positions available:
- Montgomery County Organizer
- Baltimore Area Organizer
- Prince George’s County Organizer
Building off recent momentum, the core responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a workplan for broadening support and engaging elected leaders
- Facilitating/hosting socials to provide an interactive experience with ranked choice voting
- Identifying and recruiting RCV Ambassadors to help build local support
- Attending community events to promote ranked choice voting
- Tracking support from elected leaders at the city, county, and state level
- Posting content on a regular basis to social media and RCV Maryland’s website related to events and actions
- Attending regular check-ins with RCV Maryland Team and communicating with State Coordinator
An ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge and passion for ranked choice voting
- 1-3 years of organizing experience on an issue or political campaign, training available
- Ability to use Google Suite for communications and information sharing
- Ability to use social media (Facebook and Twitter) and WordPress
- Access to a car on a regular basis
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to engage different communities
RCV Maryland has mobilized supporters and a diverse coalition of organizations to back ranked choice voting at the municipal, county, and state level. Maryland Delegate Eric Luedtke and State Senator Cheryl Kagan co-sponsored a local bill (MC 29-19 / HB 624) to enable ranked choice voting or approval voting for Montgomery County. The bill received unanimous support from the Montgomery County House Delegation in February 2019. Unfortunately, the bill languished in the House Ways & Means committee and never moved.
Leading up to the 2020 General Assembly session, RCV Maryland sees key opportunities to build support in jurisdictions related to Ways & Means members. In addition, we will identify and advocate for RCV opportunities at the municipal level.
- $500 monthly stipend (estimated hours are 8-10 hours/ week)
- Organizers work as independent contractors
Ready to Apply? Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include “RCV Organizer” in the subject.
Please indicate which regional position you are applying for (Montgomery County, Baltimore Area, or Prince George’s County).